'Tis the season for spreading joy and giving great gifts. With Americans spending an average of $1,000 on holiday gifts every year, it's important to get creative and think outside the box. This time around, get away from the classic stocking stuffers, candles, bottles of wine, and gift cards, and give an edible Christmas gift to your friends, neighbors, coworkers, and family members instead! Here are three edible Christmas gift ideas anyone on your list will be sure to enjoy, including peppermint bark, spiced nuts, and caramel corn. Read on for the recipes!
Crunchy, sweet, and unbelievably simple to make at home, peppermint bark is a top-tier holiday classic. With just three ingredients--semi-sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and crushed candy canes--peppermint bark is an easy Christmas dessert recipe for gifts that's extra special and takes less than an hour to make. Here's what to do for your peppermint bark:
Makes 1 tray
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
16 oz white chocolate chips
12 candy canes, crushed
1. Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips in a double boiler, stirring occasionally.
2. Pour the melted chocolate on a baking tray and spread in a thin, even layer with a rubber spatula. Store in the refrigerator until set, about 20 minutes.
3. While the semi-sweet chocolate layer is cooling, melt the white chocolate chips in a double boiler, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove the baking tray from the refrigerator and pour the melted white chocolate on top of the cold semi-sweet chocolate layer. Spread the melted white chocolate evenly with a rubber spatula, careful not to mix layers.
5. Immediately sprinkle crushed candy canes on top of the warm white chocolate layer. Refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes.
6. Once cooled, break the bark apart with your hands and package in small bags or tins for gifting.
When you're making holiday treats, it's crucial to play it safe while you're cooking up yummy foods in the kitchen. Check out these five food safety tips now.
While desserts are delicious, some people prefer to break it up with a savory and slightly spicy snack this holiday season. Whether you use cashews, peanuts, almonds, or walnuts, this straightforward spiced nuts edible gift idea will please any palate and pairs perfectly with a cocktail. Plus, you can whip it up in just four steps and ten minutes. Here's how to get started and make spiced nuts:
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp rosemary, chopped
1½ tsp salt
½ tsp cayenne
½ tsp cumin
3 cups unsalted mixed nuts (cashews, pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc.)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a bowl, toss the nuts with the melted butter and seasonings.
3. Spread the nuts on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
4. Let the nuts cool and package for gifting.
Take your beloved, buttery movie theater popcorn up a notch with homemade caramel corn. This sticky and sweet edible Christmas treat serves ten, calls for six ingredients, and is incredibly impressive. Best of all, it's way better than the store-bought stuff. Here's how to make caramel corn:
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp baking soda
10 cups plain popcorn, popped
salt to taste
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the brown sugar until dissolved. Bring to a soft boil for four minutes.
2. Add vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and stir for another minute. Then, stir in the baking soda.
3. In a large bowl, pour the mixture over the popcorn and toss to coat evenly.
4. Transfer popcorn onto a baking sheet and season with salt to taste. Let cool and package for gifting.
Caramel corn is the ideal companion to a holiday movie. Need some festive film inspo? Check out these ten holiday rom-com movies we can't wait to re-watch this year!
Take Your Edible Christmas Gift Ideas to the Next Level
Skip the plain packaging for these scrumptious edible Christmas gift ideas. Whether you made peppermint bark, spiced nuts, or caramel corn, how you present your delectable snack will take them to the next level. Check out how to wrap a gift and learn how to wrap your holiday foods like a seasoned pro and wow your lucky recipient!